Saturday, September 10, 2005

Getting Somewear Part 2

It's five a.m. here; I've been up since three. I really can't stop wondering what's going to happen, the way things are all going to play out. Last night we went to dinner at a place called Scotty's Table, the food was good as always. They operate under the classification of 'American Bistro', and that is just my style. I really want to be an influence in this American food revolution that we are experiencing. The thought and definition of actual 'American Cuisine', a term that would have been, in fact was, laughed at a mere 15 years ago, is slowly developing. And it is a beautiful thing.

I believe the reason that Seattle sounds so good to me, is because I think it's a place that can really foster a good, American restaurant. The choices of ingredients are superb, I love seafood (ironic living in Montana, I know), and what better place to get seafood than Seattle? The city is very diverse, with different cultures combining into a melting pot of that substance which defines America. In my visits to Seattle, I always feel a little less edge than my visits to the east; the place just seems a little nicer, a little cleaner, and a little more relaxed. Overall, Seattle is a hip city. There is a good music scene, good jobs, nice suburbs, and a crowd that really seems to like to eat - and most important eat well.

These reasons are, perhaps, why I was so set on going to the Seattle Art Institute without even ever setting foot on the actual campus. Silly, I know, but for some reason I am drawn to it. Imagine my surprise, then, when the first thing the director of the Culinary Program, in sleepy little Missoula, told me that he had taught at the Art Institute for 6 years. He had, in fact, helped to define much of the curriculum back when the program started. Furthermore, he himself is a Certified Executive Chef, which is a definitive mark of a long-time professional. Finally, he actually graduated from the Culinary Institute of America; in case you don't know this is the end-all-be-all of culinary programs in the United States.

He further explained to me that this school (under his direction) attained a 5 year seal of approval from the American Culinary Federation. Supposedly, a school can get 1,2,3,5, and 7 year seals. There are only two schools in the nation with seven year, so the fact that this little school has a five year is truly a big deal.

So, in the back of a little trailer, by a loading dock, at a once second-rate culinary program, I had just learned that it was entirely possible to receive an education in a field I want to go in. The most important fact being that the education I can receive there is, as far as credentials go, nearly if not as good an education as I would receive in Washington.

This is earth shattering news to me, and I think may be the reason why my sleeping pattern has been so random over the past few days. I looked into the program when I started college. I saw what it was, and I did not want anything to do with it. I suppose good things come to those who wait (I hate clich├ęs), or at least better things. Needless to say, I filled out an application on the spot, with a borrowed pen, anxious to get started down what I hope is the right track.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home