Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A Long Time Coming

Well it has been an interesting week. Instead of the common start from the beginning, I'll start from the end and work my way backwards. Last night I was an attendee at the very first annual Montana Chef's Association banquet. The event was overall a good one; it certainly carried tones of 'this is the first meeting of this type for this organization,' but I think that the group pulled it off well enough.

I myself am not what you would call a master networker; I get a little jittery in new places with new people and I'm sure that is reflected in my social skills. Thankfully, they provided a little pony keg of a nice local Bayern Amber that, on my empty stomach, was able to calm me down. A little.

Much of the meeting was focused on getting local culinarians actually involved in the local branch of the American Culinary Federation. This is the meat (pardon the pun) I have been looking for; and I must say I really like the idea of a unified voice able to represent topics such as sustainable agriculture. I am hoping to be able to get involved, even though I have yet to even be approved to become a student. If you are indeed involved in La Culinaria, I would encourage you to go to the main ACF website and look into joining your local chapter. In a business that is based on passion, I would hope that people would be interested enough in the trade to actually try to contribute to the cause that is food.

Friday night was the local Maverick's brewfest: a throng of brewers gathered selling goods to hundreds of thirsty visitors, with all proceeds going to youth athletics. The first thing that struck me as odd was the fact that the city is using beer to raise money for kids athletics...but to each his own. Nonetheless I payed my admission fee and recieved five golden tickets to any brew of my choice. I found Kettlehouse and Bayern to have my two favorite experimentals; but for the life of me I can't remember the name of them (perhaps that is a sign???).

Nonetheless with campus so busy and with my trying to get my life in order to start school in the summer, things have been to busy for me to cook much worth writing about. Someday soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home