Friday, March 03, 2006

Sometimes it takes so little

Often times, a little nudge from an unseen force is all that's needed to start moving in a new direction. At the time I started writing this - sometime last year, it was more of a therapy thing. I had so much going on in my head, so many thoughts and wonders, I needed some way to get them out. Writing them down somewhat 'anonymously' seemed to be the best move at the time. My material needed to be something consistent, and something I loved. Food was of course my source of inspiration.

Since then a lot has changed for me, for the better. The best, biggest change is I'm actually working in a nice restaurant now. I'm a full time IT guy in the day, and a part time chef-in-the-making at night. I'm just waiting to draw the right cards before I show my hand and make the plunge. Things are really looking up. But that is another post, for another day. A day that's coming soon.

As for today, I almost feel dirty about blogging my thoughts. I would be lying if I told you I didn't care whether or not people read it, thought about it, connected to it. I do want that. Hence, when I write out my mind, and take pictures of pasta and peppers, I get the same dirty sensation I get by knowing the fact that I actually like some radio-released, studio-tuned music. Blogging is the thing to do if you're a foodie. However, reading many of the famous 'celeb' food blogs leaves me with a taste of artificial over-the-top writing on my cerebral palette. It is a taste I don't care for.

So my goal is this. To produce real writing, true thoughts, good whole-hearted 'soul food' on e-paper. Think Harry Chapin songwriting, only about food. Should I falter on this, for instance by ever quoting that Italian lady from the food network, someone should call me on it. I'll thank you for it, I really will. It's true, blogging about food is somewhat 'Emeril-esque', but at the same time, I'm actually in the kitchen. I'm busting my ass in a kitchen putting out good food, learning from truly talented people, and trying to grow for the culinary better. If that's not keeping it real, then I don't know what is.

3 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Blogger celebchef said...

Glad to see you. How many day and hours are you working in the restaurant? What kind of food?

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Bistro said...

Currently working 40 hours in the IT world and 20-30 (3-4 days, depending) in the restaurant. The place's label marks it as an "American Bistro". Think global faire with American influence. Just my style, I loved to eat there and when I actually got a chance to work there I was floored. Maybe I'll go into a couple dishes here soon.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger celebchef said...

Hey!? I noticed your disdain for celeb food blogs"... where does that leave me? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home