Monday, June 12, 2006

Blue Sky

Last week I purchased a bike that is nine-tenths out of my price range. I have found that price works as a great motivator for myself. I have been very good at riding all the way across town to go to my day job, biking halfway back at one of the two restaurants I work at in the evenings, and then having a nice ride home after cleanup. Saturday I was really hoping for a chance to head up on a trail with my friend J, see the 'mountain' part of my new mountain bike. However, just like the previous two weekends, it rained on my only two mornings off. No blue skys for me.

Hopefully this week I will get to test my mountaineer skills, as I believe last Saturday night was my last night throwing dough and folding calzones. This means that for the first time in two months I will get a few nights off a week; if I'm lucky maybe even a whole day! Then what will I do with myself?

Oh I know what I'll do with myself. I will practice making terrines (thank you Charcuterie). I will attempt David Bouleys version of strudel (thank you East of Paris). I will finally finish 1984 and slowly recover from my depression/what-the-worlds-come-to syndrome (thank you Orwell??). I will try to grow more, sleep less, absorb knowledge, play games, savor time off for what it is.

I used what little time off I had Saturday morning (since I wasn't biking) to plant some herbs on my little apartment balcony. As of now I have three pots of basil, two pots of chives, a little cilantro, spearmint, and thyme. Hopefully they will grow and I can use my own goods for the summer. I do wish I had space for a garden so I could taste literal fruits of my labor (and vegetables of my labor, as it were).

Speaking of labor, last night at the Bistro involved me being third guy. And it was a slow Sunday, which means we get to perform the sacred ritual of the "Deep Clean". Which means we pick something and we scrub the hell out of it. I decided to tear apart our walk in. With a stainless steel scrubby in hand, and with the assistance of a rag and a soup container of soapy water, I proceeded to scrub every corner. I was sure to break up any protein leakages, lettuce scraps, apple peels, whole lemons, chard stems, stock spills, and pickle juice I could find. In the end I was left with a cleaner, bright powder-coated-white walk in, neatly organized and spotless.

Motivation is a funny thing. What is it that changes a person from one day not having the gusto to vacuum a living room, and the next happily tearing apart shelf after shelf to clean something that will probably return to the existing dirty shape in a few weeks? The situation and ones company probably has a lot to do with it. I wish I could shape my own motivation about things which I'm not very motivated about (ex - folding laundry). Maybe if I hide a pomegranate at the bottom of the basket I would be more prone to finish folding my clothes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home